Turn of the 20th Century



The two World Wars, and notably the May 1944 bombings, were to once more change the face of the Town.
Reconstruction, the Haine diversion, and the redevelopment of the canal into a motorway were to give the pearl of Hainaut its current aspect.
In 1977, as in the other local villages in the country, the merger of Saint-Ghislain took place. Since then, it has been a Town with over 22,000 residents.







Responsible for this website : town of Saint-Ghislain
City Council : rue de Chièvres, 17 – 7333 Saint-Ghislain (Tertre)
Phone : + 32 (0)65 76 19 00 – Fax : + 32 (0)65 76 20 00 – Mal : info@saint-ghislain.be