Industrial and commercial development





Construction of the Mons-Condé canal which began under Napoleon, thrust Saint-Ghislain to the forefront of the region, thanks to the transportation of coal. Haulers, boatmen and charterers came to swell the local population.

This development was to be strengthened with the opening of the railway line between Mons and Quiévrain, in 1842.



The vocation of the town was to change, with various industries developing: ceramics, refractories, earthenware, glassworks as well as new businesses.

Responsible for this website : town of Saint-Ghislain
City Council : rue de Chièvres, 17 – 7333 Saint-Ghislain (Tertre)
Phone : + 32 (0)65 76 19 00 – Fax : + 32 (0)65 76 20 00 – Mal : info@saint-ghislain.be