The first nine centuries

Between the 10th and 18th Centuries, Saint-Ghislain was to undergo rapid development with the transfer of the Hornu market, the creation of fairs and the construction of fortifications etc.
There were however some difficult times with the plague, pillaging, devastation and fires at the abbey (which was each time restored or rebuilt), not to mention the dragon which haunted the Wasmes region and where its slayer, Gilles de Chin, was buried in the monastery chapel. In 1796, decisions taken by the Empire led to the end of the religious building.

Responsible for this website : town of Saint-Ghislain
City Council : rue de Chièvres, 17 – 7333 Saint-Ghislain (Tertre)
Phone : + 32 (0)65 76 19 00 – Fax : + 32 (0)65 76 20 00 – Mal :